Summer is right around the corner and it couldn’t be more exciting! During this time of year, the days become longer, the weather gets warmer, and weekend trips to the beach become life.
Accessorizing for the beach used to mean sunglasses, beach bags, sunscreen and a floppy hat. But why stop there when you can make your shore days sparkle by adding a little bling to your bikini? As you shed off the layers, there’s more room to show off the glitz. To fully maximize your look and take advantage of the warm weather, choose beach jewelry that correlates with the beauty of summer.
Surfs Up! Jewelry to Wear to the Beach
When the weather is welcoming, it’s time to hit the seashore by wrapping yourself in treasures from the ocean, including coral, pearl, and natural shell. The beach-influenced jewelry looks great on anyone, no matter your personal style or age.
Pearls never go out of style, and they look great for the summer!
Pearl jewelry is a great accessory for heading out for beach fun. The versatility of pearls is endless, which is why they’re our first pick for the summer. Every pearl has something to offer! Consider these popular pearl varieties.
- Freshwater Pearls are the most commonly found form of pearl jewelry, and you can score style points this summer with simple yet elegant freshwater pearl jewelry. They come in the widest range of natural colors from pure white to cream, pink to orange and even lavender!
- Akoya Pearls are adored by gemstone lovers around the world. With their eye-catching luster and beautiful hues, these gorgeous pearls never disappoint. The demure nature of Akoya pearl makes them a great choice for beachwear. They’re such a fantastic accessory as they won’t overwhelm your outfit.
- Tahitian Pearls are cherished for this incredibly exotic colors and excellent luster. Its fascinating colors such as peacock green, silver green, blue, and eggplant make for incredible jewelry pieces, from earrings to bracelets and gorgeous strands. Whether worn with jeans or a light and airy summer dress, Tahitian pearl jewelry is a classic summer choice.
- South Sea Pearls are cherished for their rich hue and deep luster. They’re the largest and rarest cultured pearls. They come in a variety of gorgeous hues ranging from glossy white, champagne, creamy pink, silky silver to deep golden tones. Complement a light, flowy dress with a South Sea pearl bracelet for a fun pop of color.
Style Tip: Pair a pearl necklace with a tunic or kaftan for an early dinner or romantic sunset stroll on the beach. Complete the look with a matching pair of baroque freshwater pearl drop earrings. For holiday downtime, wear a simplistic yet stylish freshwater pearl bracelet.
What better to take out coral than for beach jewelry?
Sourced from the Mediterranean Sea, coral is a stunning organic gemstone known for its vivid deep red-orange hue. With a tantalizing color, coral jewelry adds a splash of summer sunshine to your everyday look. Choose bright red and orange hues of coral jewelry to wear on the beach to represent the sun and the sunset.
Coral jewelry is in vogue and is here to stay! From necklaces and bracelets to rings and earrings, coral jewelry looks its best during the summer by lending element of color and organic charm. Due to its soft and absorbent structure, coral is usually molded into beads such as classic rounds, but also interesting organic shapes. They’re strung together to form a necklace or encrusted into metal rings or earrings, such as artisan crafted jewelry.
Style Tip: A chunky coral necklace or big earrings can be teamed up with bold summer dresses including sunglasses, sarongs, kaftans, beach shorts or skirts for the perfect casual look.
No trip to the beach is complete without shell jewelry made with abalone shells! Its iridescent blues, greens, and purple hues are reminiscent of the captivating depth of the ocean.
The abalone shell comes from mollusks, also known as sea ears due to their shape. Its hard, rock-like outer shell opens to reveal colors ranging from mysterious greens, moody blues, and royal purples in the form of the mother of pearl.
Lovers of the sea and ocean can wear abalone shell jewelry as a romantic reminder of their love of the water. Since shells are 100% natural, they’re the perfect choice for anyone who wants to feel a personal connection to the Earth. Shell jewelry has an ability to brighten any outfit and anyone’s day while still remaining elegant.
Stype Tip: Indulge your bohemian style with a long shell necklace for your dinner date at a beach. If you love minimalism, select a small shell pendant or go with an exaggerated pendant such as a starfish, turtle, or a palm tree design.
Capturing the beauty of the ocean with a stone that is born from it, larimar is one of the most precious gems you’ll never see again! Getting a piece of larimar gemstone jewelry is a great investment for your jewelry collection.
Also known as the “Blue Beauty fo the Caribbean,” its color spectrum ranges from blue or light blue, to turquoise, with striations of green, gray and white.
Larimar jewelry stones are chosen to exemplify the characteristic deep blue and white marbling of the ocean. This pattern is brought to life when set in fine silver. Larimar jewelry presents a unique opportunity to wear the beauty of the ocean. It looks amazing on every skin tone, but in the summer when your skin is tan, the bright blues look striking. The beauty of the stone stands out against colors like sage green, dark teal, and chocolate brown.
Style Tip: Accessorize your beachwear with a larimar ring, earrings, or a beautiful bracelet. It’ll not only make you look beautiful but feel beautiful!
Keep it Simple yet Stylish
When heading to the beach, keep in mind these tips.
- Opt for Delicate Pieces to Avoid Tan Lines. Tan lines can be distracting and may throw off the look fo a perfectly planned “vacation outfit.” Avoid chunky bracelets, necklaces, watches, and large pendants. They leave their mark on you in the form of tan lines. Instead, choose beach jewelry that’ll help you avoid this altogether. Select minimalistic jewelry such as a delicate necklace or a slender pendant to avoid a tan line.
- Opt for Absorbent Materials to Avoid Corrosion. Glam up any beach look by pairing the perfect piece of jewelry with your swimsuit. Leather, linen, gold, white gold, platinum or beaded threads are any days better than heat-holding metals. Metals such as rose gold, copper, pewter, and sterling silver are more likely to tarnish from saltwater and sweat. Sea salt is corrosive to copper and causes the jewelry to break down much faster than a traditional yellow gold.
- Opt for Beads and Organic Jewelry. Beads make for a carefree, laidback look. It’s the ideal jewelry to wear at the beach. They give the wearer a feminine look, and your beach getaways are incomplete without fun organic jewelry. Corals, pearls, shells, glass, turquoise, and larimar are great for the hot summer months because they evoke the elements of the sea. It’s time that you play on the beach and give the fashionistas a run for their money with your sense of style.
How to Care for Your Beach Jewelry All Summer Long
To keep your favorite jewelry pieces looking for their best, try following these summertime jewelry care tips.
- Clean Your Jewelry Regularly. Perspiration and body oils, sunscreen and insect repellant, saltwater and chlorine can dull the shine of your jewelry. It can lead to tarnishing and corrosion of the finish, and can also break down functioning components such as clasps, connection rings, and stone settings. DIY jewelry cleaner calls for warm water, a soft brush, and a soft cloth.
- Store Your Jewelry in a Clean, Dry Place. To protect your jewelry from humidity, store your jewelry pieces inside plastic bags, fabric-lined jewelry cases, jewelry boxes with compartments and dividers or cotton bags to prevent pieces from scratching or breaking. If your jewelry is wet, make sure you completely dry it before storing it. This will avoid tarnishing and your jewelry will last longer.
That’s it for beach jewelry! What do you think? Leave your fashion savvy advice in the comments below!