The Story of the August Birthstone
Birthstones have existed across cultures throughout history. Often, these were attributed to essential parts of society, such as religion or custom. Modern times reflect this as well, as groups have updated these stones to reflect current tastes and trends. Join us as we examine the nature of the August birthstone.
Wear a Peridot or for thee,
No conjugal fidelity,
The August born without this stone,
`Tis said, must live unloved alone.”
– Traditional Birthstone Poem
Modern Birthstones for August
We know peridot for its eye-catching lime green glow, and it is the modern August birthstone. This jewel is the rare gem-quality of the mineral olivine which occurs deep inside the planet. Natural processes of the earth like volcanoes bring this gorgeous gem to the planet’s surface.
Along with peridot, pink spinel is a birthstone for this month. Spinel was added as an official birthstone in 2016. As it can occur in many colors, it was frequently mistaken for other stones such as ruby and sapphire. Many famous historical rubies actually turned out to be spinel gemstones!
Consider these fun stones for August birthdays.
- Arizona Peridot: Features an olive hue that captivates with displays of sparkle.
- Hebei Peridot: Also referred to as Chinese peridot, this gem glows a deep olive with golden undertones.
- Burmese Spinel: Before earning renown as a gem, Burmese spinel was often mistaken for other gemstones, such as rubies or amethyst as it occurs in a variety of colors.
Historical Birthstones for August
Sardonyx is the traditional birthstone for August. It combines alternating layers of onyx and sard. These two types of layered chalcedony create a rosy zebra-like striped gemstone with white bands. It is seen as a stone of strength and protection.
August Birthstone Quick Facts
• Peridot and spinel are modern August birthstones.
• Leo (7/23-8/22) uses peridot as a birthstone.
• Virgo (8/23-9/22) uses sapphire as its birthstone.
• Sardonyx is the traditional August birthstone.
Your August Birthstone
Birthstones were thought to bestow luck on the wearer. They continue to be an excellent gift for jewelry lovers. Whether you prefer traditional or modern options, birthstones are a unique way to tell a story about yourself. Explore our range of August birthstone jewelry today!
Never miss an update! Subscribe to the Shop LC blog using the form on this page.
Would you choose peridot, pink spinel or sardonyx as your birthstone? Tell us in the comments below!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?