As we find ourselves in a new normal, celebrating the holidays with our families is more important than ever. In a year where the threat of coronavirus dominates, may are left wondering what to do. It’s a legitimate concern – how to keep our kids safe while limiting possible exposure to the virus? And now Halloween is around the corner. Well, don’t worry. You’ve come knocking on the right door. Here are some tricks for celebrating Halloween that are a treat to use!
Tricks for safer trick-or-treating
For nearly every child, trick-or-treating is the quintessential Halloween activity. After all, who doesn’t love dressing up in a fun costume and getting candy? However, trick-or-treating requires its own special, er, tricks for staying safer this season. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends the following.
- Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters.
- Give out treats outside, if you can.
- Set up a station with individually wrapped treats.
- Wash your hands before handling candy or other treats.
- Maintain 6 feet of space between yourself and others.
- Wear a mask!
Coverage.com shared some extra tips for kids getting candy. Be sure to check out their fact-checked Halloween safety guide!
- Don’t let kids eat candy while out and about.
- Clean hands in-between houses with hand sanitizer.
- Immediately wash hands when you return home for at least 20 seconds.
- Parents, inspect the candy before enjoying.
Choosing a safer costume
When it comes to masks, it’s recommended that you wear a mask while enjoying this spooky holiday. Why not make the mask part of your costume? Just keep in mind, masks that come with children’s costumes are not a substitute for a good cloth mask. And, don’t layer a costume mask over a cloth mask. It could restrict airflow and make it hard to breath. Whatever mask you choose to wear, make sure your child can breathe freely and see clearly.
Final spooky thoughts
Lastly, why not try virtual Halloween events this year, like a costume content with friends? Or, your family can carve jack-o’-lanterns and have a scary movie marathon! Maybe have a Halloween treat hunt with flashlights through the house? No matter how you slice it, you can have a screaming good time.
Sign up today to receive exclusive news and offers from Shop LC.